You Could Win Free Shell Gasoline for a Year - Official Rules
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
2. PROMOTION DESCRIPTION: The “FUEL FOR A YEAR” Viral Peer Sharing Promotion (“the Promotion”) is sponsored by Shell Oil Products US (the "Sponsor"). The Promotion starts at 12:00:01 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) on July 26, 2011 and closes at 11:59:59 PM ET on September 30, 2011 (the “Promotion Period”). All references in these rules are Eastern Time, which shall control for all purposes of this Promotion.
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia (excluding, for clarity, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and other U.S. territories and possessions) who are eighteen (18) years of age at time of entry and posses a valid U.S. driver’s license.
Employees of the Sponsor, Motiva Enterprises LLC, and their respective member companies, parent companies, subsidiaries or affiliates or a Shell wholesaler or retailer (including the wholesalers and retailers themselves), their respective advertising and promotional agencies, or the independent judging organization (Sponsor and such entities, collectively, the “Released Parties”), members of any such employee’s immediate family (regardless of where such family members live) and persons with whom such employees reside (whether related or not) are ineligible to enter or win.
“Immediate family” is defined as (a) spouses or domestic partners, and (b) parents, siblings, and children and their respective spouses and domestic partners. You must have a valid email address to participate.
Email addresses received on-line shall be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Illegible or incomplete entries will be disqualified.
4. HOW TO ENTER: There are two (2) ways to enter the Promotion:
i. Online: Log onto www.shell.us/fuelpromo (the “Website”) and click on the Enter Now button. Enter a valid email address to be directed to registration form. Complete the registration form including your First Name, Last Name, Mailing Address, City, State, Zip Code, Date of Birth and Email Address, then click Continue.
Next, answer the three (3) Survey Questions and click Continue. Next you will be presented with the opportunity to Share a link to the Promotion in order to earn Bonus Entries (See Rule 6) by clicking on the Viral Peer Sharing icon that you would like to use, and following the prompts on the screen for the applicable Viral Peer Sharing path. When you finish sharing or if you do not wish to share to proceed click Continue.
Next uncheck the tick box to opt-out if you do not wish to receive promotional updates from the Sponsor, then check the tick box to indicate that you have read the Official Promotion Rules and click Enter Now to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion. All requested information on the registration form at the Website must be completed to participate in the Promotion and to be eligible to win the prize. Limit one (1) entry per person per day during the Promotion Period.
ii. Email Blast, click on the Promotion Entry button located in the Email Blast to be directed to the Promotion registration form. Complete the registration form including your First Name, Last Name, Mailing Address, City, State, Zip Code, Date of Birth and Email Address, then click Continue. Next, answer the three (3) Survey Questions and click Continue.
Next you will be presented with the opportunity to Share a link to the Promotion in order to earn Bonus Entries (See Rule 6) by clicking on the Viral Peer Sharing icon that you would like to use, and following the prompts on the screen for the applicable Viral Peer Sharing path. When finished sharing or if you do not wish to share click Continue.
Next uncheck the tick box to opt-out if you do not wish to receive promotional updates from the Sponsor, then check the tick box to indicate that you have read the Official Promotion Rules and click Enter Now to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion.
All requested information on the registration form at the Website must be completed to participate in the Promotion and to be eligible to win the prize. Limit one (1) entry per person per day during the Promotion Period.
5. RETURNING TO THE PROMOTION: Entrants who are returning to the Promotion may visit www.shell.us/fuelpromo and click on the Enter Now button. Next, enter a valid email address to be directed to the returning entrant registration form. Enter the requested Shell fuel purchase receipt information.
Upon doing so, click the Enter Now button to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion. If the entrant does not have a Shell fuel purchase receipt they may click the No Purchase Entry Button to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion. Limit of one (1) entry per person, per day into the Promotion during the Promotional Period.
6. VIRAL PEER SHARING BONUS ENTRIES: Entrants will be given the option to receive bonus entries upon completion of the entry process (See Rule 4) by clicking on a Viral Peer Sharing icon. Share the Promotion link with a friend and upon doing so and upon your friend entering the Promotion you will receive one (1) Bonus Entry into the Promotion. Limit of one (1) Viral Peer Sharing Bonus Entry per unique friend who enters the Promotion.
In the event more than one (1) entrant provides information for the same friend, the first person who provided the friend’s information will receive credit for that friend’s entry.
For purposes of this Promotion, a “day” is defined as any twenty-four (24) hour period beginning at 12:00:01 a.m. ET and ending at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. NOTE: Participation must be by the entrant, only at the Website. Participation by any other individual or any entity, and/or originating at any other web site or e-mail address, including but not limited to commercial promotion subscription notification and/or entering service sites, will be declared invalid and disqualified for this promotion.
The use of any device to automate the entry process is prohibited. The Website’s database clock will be the official time keeper for online entries in this Promotion. In the event a dispute regarding the identity of the individual who actually participated in the Promotion cannot be resolved to Sponsor’s satisfaction, the affected individual’s Entry will be deemed ineligible.
The Released Parties shall not be responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in the Promotion. The Released Parties assume no responsibility or liability for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries.
7. PRIZE/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE/ODDS OF WINNING: There is one (1) Grand Prize available to be won, consisting of Free Shell Gasoline for One (1) Year. Approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $2352.56 (USD). The Grand Prize is calculated on the average consumer’s yearly gasoline consumption of six hundred and thirty-six (636) gallons (4.5 fuel purchases per month multiply by 11.77 gallons of gasoline per purchase multiply by twelve (12) months) per year and at the present-day $3.69 (US) per gallon (consistent with the U.S Department of Energy statistics for regular grade gasoline as of July 25, 2011).
Fluctuations in gasoline prices after July 25, 2011 will not affect the calculation of the Grand Prize amount. The Grand Prize will be rounded up to the next fifty and be awarded in the form of forty eight (48) $50.00 (US) Shell Gift Cards which may be used for the purchase of gasoline. Gift cards are subject to separate terms and conditions imposed by issuer. Federal, state and local taxes and all other expenses not specified and related to the acceptance and use of the Shell Gift Card are the winner’s sole responsibility.
The Grand Prize must be accepted as awarded without substitution and is not transferable, not for resale and has no cash surrender value, except where required by law. Prizes are subject to availability and subject to change at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Federal, state, and local taxes and all other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of a prize not specified herein as being awarded are winner’s sole responsibility. Odds of winning the Grand Prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received by the end of the Promotion Period (See Rule 2).
8. GRAND PRIZE WINNER SELECTION: A random draw will be held on October 06, 2011 at approximately 10:00 am ET, (the “Draw Date”) from among all eligible Entries received in accordance with these Official Rules.
9. GRAND PRIZE WINNER NOTIFICATION: To be declared the winner, the potential winner of the Grand Prize will be notified by telephone and/or mail at the Sponsor’s discretion using the contact information provided at the time of registration. The Sponsor shall have no liability if the winner notification is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason.
If, despite reasonable efforts, the potential winner does not respond within five (5) business days of the first notification attempt, or if the prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to the potential winner, the potential winner will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate potential winner will be randomly selected. If a potential winner is found to be ineligible for any reason, he/she will be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be randomly selected.
The potential winner must complete, sign and have notarized an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and to, the extent permitted by law, a Publicity Release (Affidavit/Release) in order to be declared the Grand Prize winner. The Affidavit/Release must be returned within the time period specified thereon along with any other documentation that the Sponsor may require, or the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner may be declared the winner at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
If the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner will be disqualified at Sponsor’s discretion, and an alternate winner may be selected.
10. GENERAL: Acceptance of the prize constitutes the prize winner’s permission for Sponsor to use the prize winner’s name, photograph, likeness, voice, biographical information, statements and address (city and state) for advertising and/or publicity purposes worldwide and in all forms of media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to abide and be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and the independent judging organization with respect to all aspects of the Promotion, which are final and binding in all respects relating to this Promotion.
Entrants agree that the Released Parties shall
(A) not be responsible or liable for, and are hereby released and held harmless from, any and all costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including, without limitation, death and bodily injury, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Promotion or any Promotion-related activity (including, without limitation, travel), or from entrants’ acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of any prize, and
(B) have not made any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to any prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Released Parties assume no responsibility for any damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer system or wireless phone which is occasioned by accessing the Website or otherwise participating in the Promotion, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, misdirected, misprinted, late, lost, damaged, stolen entries, email or mail or prize notifications; or for lost, interrupted, inaccessible or unavailable networks, servers, satellites, Internet service providers, websites, or other connections; or for miscommunications, failed, jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected computer, telephone or cable transmissions; or for any technical malfunctions, failures, difficulties or other errors of any kind or nature; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information.
The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, and the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
No mechanically reproduced, illegible, incomplete, forged, software-generated or other automated multiple entries will be accepted.
The Sponsor reserves the right to modify, extend, suspend, or terminate the Promotion if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the Promotion is technically impaired or corrupted or that fraud or technical problems, failures or malfunctions or other causes have destroyed or severely undermined or to any degree impaired the integrity, administration, security, proper play and/or feasibility of the Promotion. In the event that the Sponsor is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Promotion as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, the Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Promotion.
If the Promotion is terminated or suspended before the end of the Promotion Period, notice thereof will be posted on the Website and the Sponsor will (if possible) select winner(s) in a random drawing or drawings from all eligible, non-suspect registered entrants as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination.
Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. The Sponsor reserves the right to correct clerical or typographical errors in promotional materials or these Official Rules.
11. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, incomplete, illegible, late, misdirected, stolen, inaccurate, or mutilated entries; or for errors or problems of any kind, whether typographical, printing, human or otherwise, relating to or in connection with this Promotion, including without limitation, errors or problems which may occur in connection with the administration of this Promotion, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes or in these Official Rules, in any drawing-related advertisements or other materials; or for inaccurate entry information, whether caused by equipment, programming used in this Promotion, human processing error, or otherwise.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to void any and all entries of an entrant (and disqualify him/her) who Sponsor believes has attempted to tamper with or impair the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of this Promotion.
12. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or Sponsor in connection with the Promotion shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the state of Texas without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state’s laws.
13. All entries become the permanent property of the Sponsor and none will be returned. No correspondence will be entered into except with the selected potential winners.
14. The Sponsor respects your right to privacy. Personal information collected from entrants will only be used by the Sponsor to administer the Promotion and, only if consent is given at the time of entry, to provide the entrants with information regarding upcoming promotions and/or events from the Sponsor, or by a third party, such as a co-sponsor or a vendor involved in, or providing services in connection with a promotion.
By entering the Promotion, all entrants consent to the manner of collection, use and disclosure of personal information as set out in the Sponsors’ privacy policies, which are available at www.shell.us/home/content/usa/footer/privacy_policy/
15. WINNERS LIST: Upon the conclusion of the Promotion, winner’s names will be available online at www.shell.us/fuelpromo
16. SPONSOR. Shell Oil Products US, 910 Louisiana, Houston, Texas 77002.